Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Oompah Loompahs Unite!

So here is the latest on the Queen and her court. Today was a fairly slow day. It started with Char & I getting KJ into the shower. I cannot begin to describe this picture. Let’s just say, it would have been Funniest Home Videos million dollar winner if they accepted videos of two middle-aged women getting a naked middle-aged woman into the shower whilst slipping, sliding, harassing and harping on one another. Not a pretty sight but definitely pretty funny.

Then it was off to lunch, yes it took us that long with the shower, where we spent as much time laughing as we did eating. This is good since we need something to divert our attention from food these days. Seems stress brings out the voracious appetites in the Casas girls. Forget fruits & veggies. I’m talking JUNK FOOD BABY!

After lunch we picked up some medical records, printed off the rest of the weeks agenda in the business office and thought we better head back to our room so Kel could lay down. But not before stopping for ice cream, of course. Hey, it’s a long elevator ride to the fifth floor.

Once back in our room and with ice cream bellies, we attempted to get Kelly back into bed. This is when things often go south. Let me explain. Whenever it’s time to get into bed at night or out of bed in the morning, KJ can get overwhelmed. I think that moment or two she takes to prepare mentally for the physical hurtle she faces in regards to getting in & out of bed, can sometimes lead to her feeling emotionally swamped by all she is facing on a daily basis. Today was no different. As she prepared to get out of the wheelchair so we could hoist her into bed she said, “I’m starting to sink.” This means the tears are not far behind. She started in again about her weight, and feeling miserable, and hurting everywhere. It makes me mad at Cancer and sad for her every time this happens which is everyday. As I said before, I am not allowed to cry per orders of the Queen. So I did what any court jester would do. I began to sing the Oompah Loompah song from Willy Wonka. You know the one from the original Gene Wilder version. The one where Violet eats the bubblegum that makes her blow up into a giant purple ball. As I promised in song that we would roll Kelly to the Juicer in the morning to have her squeezed back to normal size, she started to laugh. I live to hear Kelly laugh these days.

So tomorrow we take Kelly to the “Juicer” aka another MRI. Then Thursday to her angiogram and Friday is surgery. Saturday is Valentines Day so it’s “Party in ICU!!” Be there or be square!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know me, I'm a big coward but if that MRI makes one skinny I'm in!! Please, Marla, Don't sing, that will REALLY make Kelly ill. I must Tell you we were out Karoke-ing tonight, Larry had his ears covered the whole time. Keep us posted. Will have lunch with Chuck & Dian on Thurs. Love, Kisses & Hugs Maureen

Anonymous said...

Kelly, Char and Marla

I am getting a visual and chuckling. Splish, Splash

Party in ICU. Yahoo.

How many margaritas does it take to sing karoke.

Kelly -Check out the drawers for the junk food stash. Especially if you exceeded the serving size.

Love you guys.....Cher

Anonymous said...

Oh I can just see you guys in the elevator! I am so glad to hear its not as dangerouse now that the artery is clogged! God has his hands on you Aunt Kelly keep laughing and hoping! Love Bel

Nicole said...

Did someone say party?!

"Today was a fairly slow day"?? It sounds exhausting and quite busy! I particularly like the ice cream part. Only if it had sprinkles though - and I really prefer soft serve.

My girls all walked around singing, "oompa loompa doopity do..." after they saw the heading of your post. Of course Meaghan didn't find any humor in being critical of someone's appearance (my daughter?). And Delaney (who is a peanut by the way. We just saw the endocrinologist again because of her size and she is in less than the 25th percentile in height and 15th percentile in weight). Anyways, Delaney turned to her in disgust and reminded her that she calls her poor sister a Garden Gnome all the time. Funny how rules don't apply to sisters!!

Thinking about you and wishing you weren't struggling with anything.

Waiting on the next version of the Musings of Marla.

Love you! NB

Anonymous said...

Stalking....Hugs and Kisses..Cher

Get your beauty sleep dear QUEEN and her Beauty and Doo-dy Court.

Anonymous said...

Dear Meaghan~ I've heard from your mom a few times now that you are disturbed by how ..... well, disturbed I am. Let me reassure you about a few things. I love my sisters more than anything in this world and would NEVER do anything to hurt them. Kelly reads every single blog before I post it and has full power to stop me at anytime. She is the only one I give this right to as a matter of fact since it's her blog. Also, you are not the only one that thinks my writing is tasteless so I hope that reassures you that you are the normal one and we are not. :-) Two last things; I write to make my sister laugh. She does not have a lot to laugh about right now but for some reason she thinks I'm funny so that is why I do it. Finally, I will never write anything about you without your prior permission. I promise! Can we be friends now? :-)

Anonymous said...

Cher ~ Thanks for the call!! Can we even begin to tell you how much you mean to the three of us? What you and Kelly did for our Kelly will go down in the history of this family as above and beyond the call of duty. You are the best and we love you!! So glad you are one of THE sisters!! BTW ~ we promise if you fly out we will include you in all the mayhem. Come on!!