Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Jokers Anonymous

Let me tell you about Kelly’s “face lift”. The day of her surgery, Dr. Weinberg came out to tell us how great everything went. He also told us that Dr. Hanasono was NOT going to have to do all the extra atrocities to Kelly because he was able to close the wound by pulling her facial skin forward a bit. He jokingly said, “So she got a free face lift.”

The next morning, we all took turns going into ICU to be with Kel. David, on his turn, proceeded to jokingly tell Kelly, in her medicated stupor, that she got a free face lift. Next, when one of the ICU doctors came in, she asked him about the face lift and he jokingly told her, “They got your eyebrows a little too high.” Finally, when Char & I went in Kelly started to quiz us about her face lift and, “how bad is it really?” The more we tried to tell her she didn’t get a face lift the more upset she became. This in turn distressed us more and more because obviously our little sister had her brains scrambled by the surgery and was now a character from “One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest“. After 15 minutes of “Who’s On First?” the three of us got it all figured out. Notice anything about the three JOKERS in this story? All boys! Need I say more?

Fast forward, Kelly is out of ICU and doing a little better each and everyday. She has had a set back here and there but continues to overcome every obstacle. She’s also had a few emotional meltdowns along the way, but unfortunately for her, I am my mother! “You’re fine, go to school!!”

That’s the short story for tonight. Kel is reading your comments so keep em coming! Well, at least from the girls out there!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,girls,
Thanks for the update. Kelly, sorry about the "no" face lift. At 56 I am thinking of one myself. That is for another time.
Glad to hear all is going well. I am here still with the grand kiddies. They have been sick with some sort of flu so my white carpet is now the "Vomit Zone" as we are calling it. Pizza last night...red tomatoe spots everywhere!! Yuck!!
Thinking of you all and still in my prayers.
Marla, you must start writing professionally. If you just take all your Kelly blogs and put them together you will end up on Opera's top 10 list!! I loved getting your Christmas letters every year. So honest and real.
Love you all,
Vic

Nicole said...

Kelly - It was so good to talk to you yesterday! It gave me a good visual - and you know, well, I'm visual. :)

Now on to the face lift. The other day I went to yoga with Meaghan. We were in a class where there happened to be a lot of men. Meaghan found this completely offensive because of their bike shorts and when they bent over....ish. Yuck. (I just had to throw that in, that's not what my point was.)

Anyway, we were in downward dog and I was looking through my legs and my spot was in front of the mirror - which I really don't like. And upside down I saw my future. It wasn't pretty. My whole face was droopy and quite honestly, frightening. I spent the whole hour not practicing yoga and being all *zen*, but obsessing about how many years until I have to have a face lift. I'm fearful it will have to be sooner rather than later. Needless to say, I'm envious of any type of lift at this point.

Off to get the girls to school, "it's the most wonderful time of the day....!"

Keep resting and working on your rehab. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Girls,

Thank you for the update. I update my parents too and Kelly my dad asks "How's the brat" He has called you that forever:) Getting ready to have Katie's Winter formal dinner and pic's and parents here on Sat. Will update your photo of Katie and Natalie. Keep up the good work kiddo.
Love and prayers,
~Judy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update... was getting worried with no info. Love to all and Kelly, keep getting stronger each day!
Lenora

Anonymous said...

Ladies,

Could you give me address info for sending a card?

Judy

Marla said...

Vic ~ White carpet & grandchildren?!?!?! Have you lost your mind?!?!?!?!? HansenFarm is wood floors & tile. Carpet or grandkids? One of them had to go!

Nicole ~ Men doing yoga in bike shorts? You can only imagine the things I am writing in my brain at this very moment on that subject. However, since I am hoping Meaghan will someday think of me kindly again, I will keep it to myself. But it was good!

As for your upside down face lift needing face ..... You're killing me!! That visual actually earned a belly laugh snort from us. I myself have found a much more cost effective way of improving my face at 50. AVOID ALL MIRRORS!