Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Latest News From Houston, Y’all

Here is an update on Kelly per Kelly‘s request written by Marla. Now that you have the disclaimer, shall we proceed?

The last four days have been wall to wall appointments, testing, doctors and needles. There were blood draws, ultrasounds, CT scans, echocardiograms plus meetings with Doctors galore. Tomorrow it’s MRI’s and Anesthesia Assessments plus a planning meeting or two. Her potassium is low so they are pounding her with pills hoping the surgery won’t be postponed. There is also a question regarding her heart, so we are waiting for test results.

If all goes as planned and test results are as hoped for, surgery will take place Monday morning. Dr. Weinberg will remove the entire brain tumor . Dr Hanasono will then take over once the tumor is gone and complete the surgery. The entire surgery should be 10-12 hours. Kel will be in ICU for 1-3 days and in the hospital for several weeks at least. Within the first week they want to begin therapy to get her up and moving and learning how to work with what she has. The best news is they will be weaning her off the steroids which will bring her weight down and stop destroying her bones, skin and internal organs.

Kel, Char & I have had an interesting week to say the least. We have had our usual sisterly bickering and bantering. More importantly, we have been brutal with one another as we always are in stressful situations leading to absolute hysterical laughter. Some people are touchy feely. Others keep their emotions buried deep inside. We beat the snot out of one another verbally and feel better. Look up dysfunctional. This will all make sense.

One example, just in case you still don’t get it. We were all in the plastic surgeons office. Dr. Hanasono will be doing the closing of her wound. He will need to take a muscle from her back, a vein from her leg and skin from the other leg for grafting. He then began explaining how they will “teach” me (Marla) how to keep all this clean. I am pretty sure at this point all three of us girls were feeling rather light-headed ……. Especially Kelly (no pun intended)

This is when we got the great idea to suggest they might use skin from her buttocks as she could be quite a butthead at times. This sent the three of us into hysterics. I am pretty sure that is why a behavioral psychologist has been added to the schedule of appointments. We all need help ……. Obviously!

Most of the rudeness can’t be shared because, well, you needed to be there to get it and maybe even then you wouldn’t. We are just a weird set of sisters. I can say, I have never seen a Dr. laugh the way we had Weinberg laughing one day. The dude was howling!

The truth is Kelly is scared and Char & I are heartsick for her. Proverbs says, Laughter can conceal a heavy heart, but when the laughter ends, the grief remains. That pretty well sums it up.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I can't imagine how you are all feeling right now. I can only have some comfort in knowing that you have one another. The bond that you share and the relationshop you have is a beautiful thing.

I appreciate so much the detailed update Marla - thank you for taking the time to update those of us at home that are thinking and praying for this to all go well. I know you are beat at the end of the day and can't tell you how much it is appreciated that you find the energy to blog.

Kelly - I love you so much and not an hour goes by that you aren't on my mind. You just keep up the fight. On the tough days when it doesn't seem possible, dig deep and realize how many people love you and what you have to fight for.

I'm checking the blog regularly and anxiously await all and every update. I'm only slight obsessive-compulsive - so today I only checked about 10 times to see if you updated. :)

Love you! Nicole

Nicole said...

BTW -- Where are you guys staying?

Anonymous said...

Hey Girls, thanks for the update.

I know your sense of humor (tasteless to some) is how you are all dealing with the uncertainty of this situation. I have to admit I kinda like the tasteless sense of humor it makes me laugh. I can totally imagine the three of you laughing hysterically and the doctor looking at you like... should I laugh or not. Glad you lightened up his day.

Kelly you know we will all be there for you making you do the things you dislike the most and loving watching you succeed.

Marla I know you will do a great job cleaning the wound and being a nurse remember.....living in a trailer with kids and nursing a 3 legged goat. You can do anything that is thrown your way. I will be your backup when you need it.

Char, those two will never let you be the boss so keep using that elder trump card. Your support is always appreciated by them. (even though they will never tell you)

Marla maybe we should go back to school to become traveling nurses, I hear the pay is good and we could be motorhome mama,s.

Hugs and Kisses to all of you thanks for being my other sisters.
Love and miss you.....Cher

Needles tonight if we make it will be thinking about you when we camp

Anonymous said...

Hi,Char, Marla and Kelly,
Thanks for the update. I am glad you can make light of the situation and be there for each other.
My prayers are with you all,
Victoria

Anonymous said...

Hey Girls,
Just woke up in the Needles Campground just one space away from where we stayed on the way to Houston. Sooooo..... thinking of you and missing you. Sending Hugs and Kisses to you all Love you Cher and Kelly