Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Drainage, Discharge & Other Natural Disasters

Well, it looks like they have finally figured out Kelly's drainage problem. She has been bleeding from her port and is also putting out too much bloody drainage from her brain. I won't even mention the other end. And you thought you had problems! After adjusting and readjusting meds over the last few days, it looks like things are heading in the right direction. Her platelets are back to normal and the drainage is slowing way down and not so bloody. Kelly has used the phrase “Bloody Hell” throughout the years and now I know what it means.

A discharge date has tentatively been reached. Yeehaw! Looks like March 6th is the day Kel will be busting out of this joint. Again, barring any further drama. Bloody Hell! So now we are in the planning stages. Does she go to Oklahoma with me for a month so she can return for post-op follow-up? Does she go straight back to California? If she goes to California, does she fly or go back in our cousin Cher's motor home? Decisions, decisions! I have set a deadline of Friday for her to have this all figured out. She works best under pressure.

As I think the possible choices through, several strike me as natural disasters waiting to happen. Let's look at Kelly coming to Oklahoma for a month. I have walked this dog before. Picture it. My dad, who thinks he is a 45 year old ladies man-world boxing champion-fighter pilot-etc, and Kelly, sit on the couch together pretty much all day. Sounds sweet enough, right. Oh no!

Dad ~ “Do you need anything, baby?”

Kelly ~ “No, Dad, I'm ok.”

Dad ~ “Marla! Get your sister something to drink!”

Now repeat this conversation every 20 - 30 minutes. Like I said before, family. Good times.

One of the other possibilities is traveling back to California in Cher's motorhome. This option sounds like fun actually. Well, until you throw David into the mix. Don't get me wrong. I love my brother-in-law and would do anything for him. Well, anything except be locked in a motor home for 4 days with him. Can you say Hyperactive? David will be bouncing off the walls, Kelly will be crying and I will be praying the rosary …... and I'm not even Catholic.

What ever happens, what ever choice Kelly makes, it's all good. Kelly's walking, talking, laughing and happy. I couldn't ask for anything more. Or in the words of my dad, “I could ask but what good would it do me?”

9 comments:

Nicole said...

The second I read "Bloody Hell" I could instantly hear Kelly saying it!

Great news on having a release date on the radar. That's got to be encouraging. Walking, talking, laughing, happy. All such wonderful things to hear.

Keep working it Kelly!

I hope that you are taking good care of yourself too Marla. :)

Tell Kelly that Kevin Morgan is coming out west to pay us a visit the 2nd week of March. It's always an adventure when you let Morgan out of Connecticut!

Off to read Max a bedtime story. I don't think that will ever get old. Love, Nicole

AndreaC said...

Wow - been watching your recovery Kelly, such great news on the discharge date! I think of you often. Sending you all good thoughts and prayers... Marla thanks for keeping us all posted, you have a gift with your writing - laughing through the tears gets us through so much, doesn't it? Take good care - Cousin Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly. Am thrilled to hear of your amazing progress...but then again, you are one amazingly strong woman. Keep giving 'em hell and getting stronger. As I write this, I am in Bangalore, India for work. So as they say here, Namaste! Hug to you, Joanne

Anonymous said...

Yippee a date, a date, a very important date. You must be the model student. So happy to hear you are progressing nicely.

What, it is not a girls trip with a driver.

Thanks for the update..Hugs..Cher

Anonymous said...

Marla, you are way to funny. I can just imagine your dad, the "latin loverboy", saying exactly what you said. That is what my father would say with Cher.

I am so happy all is going well. Kelly, you are so strong. Those Spanish/Swiss-Italian genes blended with your sisterly love did right by you.

Wishing you the best whatever travel you decide to take.

Still in my prayers,

Victoria

Anonymous said...

I'm glad are things are going so well, I call your mother in law everytime there is an update and we kill ourselves laughing at you and Marla. Marla keep up the good work..Kelly you have an unbelievable strength..Love Teresa and Diane

Anonymous said...

I love the vision of Aunt Kelly coming to OK! I'd be more than OK well its up to her and whats bless I love you Aunt Kelly , I'm gonna call you to by the way!

Unknown said...

HEY! I was going to ride with Kelly so you (Marla) would not have to ride to the beautiful state of CA before going to the dust bowl. If you don't want me to go, just say the word and I'm outta there. I love you.

Marla said...

Wow, David. I had no idea you were so mushy. I love you too. Looks like your dream has come true and you will be flying in style with Kel next week. Like you were doing me a favor. Whateva! See ya Friday~