Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Beauties, Bovines & What A Girl Wants

Seems a threat has been made against Queen F&M. She called me today and firmly stated that I “must update the blog and be funny” in order to thwart the attack of the enemy. That’s right. David has threatened to update the blog unless I do it and we all know what happened last time he did that….. Fat, mean, deaths door, etc. I repeatedly told Kelly she was more than capable of doing her own blog plus she is much funnier than me and these are her friends anyway.

Her response, as usual, was, “You know what I’m hearing? Blah, blah, blah blah, blah!”

So fine. Here I am, updating the Queen’s blog. Some of you will be delighted to once again enjoy my sardonic wit and wisdom while I am sure others will respond with wailing and gnashing of teeth. Either way, lay the blame on the Queen.

Before I give Kelly’s latest medical update, I must get something off my chest. On my last day with Kel last week, she asked me to place her scarf on her head in order to cover her scar. As I was attempting for the sixth or seventh time to accomplish this task, she looked at me in the mirror and calmly stated the following:

“I think you need to go back to milking cows.”

Having gone through six weeks of her steroidal abuse and knowing my escape was near, I let the comment slide. Now that she has insisted on using my writing skills once again, I feel it only fair that I address her parting shot.

Dear Kelly~

If anyone ever doubted you had a brain tumor, they would surely no longer wonder at the validity of that claim based upon your request for ME to do any type of beautification procedure. It has always been a well known fact that I can saddle a horse, birth a baby, grow a garden, cook for an army and milk a cow. But what on God’s green earth would give any sane person the idea that I know anything about manicures, mascara or tying scarves? Have you seen me?? For future reference, I am the short, round sister that usually has dirt under her nails and smells like the barn. The old gal is the one that you want to ask for if looking good is your goal. Ask for me if you need your horse saddled, your butt wiped, or your in labor.

Love ~

Mar

One last thing. Kelly keeps saying she does not know how to repay me for staying with her. She has a bad habit of thinking this way, that she has to repay a kindness. Last year she sent me so many boxes that the neighbors thought I was “seeing” the UPS guy. I have given this great thought and have finally figured out what it is I want and deserve for putting up with…..I mean for helping Kel this last go around.

I want you to get up out of that bed everyday, shower and get dressed, realizing how loved and blessed you are by God and so many others. I want you to go to therapy even when you don’t want to and work until you think you are ready to pass out then go a little further. I want you to get everything there is in this life that God has planned for you. I want you to focus on what’s good and right in your life, even on the days when it’s nothing more than the cat loves you. I want you to be happy and healthy and live. Really live! Shut the TV off. Go outside. Plant flowers. Milk a cow! Ask God to show you something new and exciting everyday. He is not done with you. This is just the beginning, so begin again!

I love you ~

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Marla, I will update the blog everyday that she's not out of bed by 10. I know that sounds late, but after you take into account that for some reason, she cannot go to sleep until around 1:00AM and that I'm not s morning person. We don't move until 8, so she has two hours to drink her coffee, let her pain pills kick in and talk to Char about the days events and take a shower. She hates the fact that I enforce Marla's rules but tough love is what it's all about.

Anonymous said...

Marla, thank you for this endearing message.
Kelly, listen up. Marla's message is divine and connected. I listen to it with both ears, a strong heart and open soul.
Beautifully said, straight from your heart.
Love you both,
Victoria

Marla said...

David ~ Thank you for loving my sister enough to accept nothing less than her best from her and for her. She will thank you one day. Well, maybe not but do it anyway!

Vic ~ Thanks for supporting Kelly through this tough time. It means a lot to all of us and we love you too!

Anonymous said...

Davd, Kelly ..I just got off they phone with you mom, she said to send this soap opera to Readers Digest and make money off of it. I'm glad everything is going good.

Anonymous said...

Marla, I would really appreciate it if you would stop referring to me as the "old Gal", I'm starting to get a complex.
For your information, I am not old. I am older than some people, oh never mind, just stop before I have to kick your butt.
Kelly is really doing great! She is back with the PT guy she had previously(not in a marriage kind of way)but this time he had to tell her to "slow" down and not try to do it all in one day. I remember Dr.McDreamy saying this will take awhile(like a year) but I think he might be wrong. Can you imagine, a neurosurgeon being "wrong" about something. Anyway, things are really looking up and I'm happy!
Oh by the way, Kelly said you were the best caregiver in all of Houston. So..............
Happy Birthday to the best caregiver in all of Houston!
Love you and don't dis me anymore,
Char

Anonymous said...

Marla, thanks for your message. Love you lots. You are just an amazing writer. You must go pro.

Char, "old gal" is not a word, really. Is that even in the dictonary? It is not in mine!!

Kelly, So glad you are doing well. Continuing to include you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Leaving Florida tomorrow :( It has been a perfect 10 the last week. 75-80, sunny with a light ocean breeze. I have been beach hopping and not feeling guilty about it. That is so amazing for a Catholic girl married to a Jewish boy!

Love to all three of you,
Victoria

Marla said...

Char ~ One question. Who said I was referring to you when I mentioned the old gal? In the words of Carly Simon, you're so vain you probably think this old gal blog is about you.

Got my bodacious flowers today. Thank you and I love you too. Do I still have to send you a thank you now?

I sure miss you. When are you coming to see me?

Nicole said...

Glad to hear you are marching along with therapy! Interested to hear how your feeling in general compared to pre-surgery.

Kevin Morgan visited us this week. He was a riot as always. We laughed about alot of old Captiva memories. Hard to believe it was soooo long ago!

Marla, Happy Belated Birthday!

xoxo Nicole

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,
You know I would agree with Marla, JUST DO IT. Be glad I don't live closer or I would be there everyday telling you look up put your bad foot in front of your good. You can do it. You can do it. I know you can. We are all your cheerleaders just not in the short skirts anymore.
I am so proud of you and how far you have come, I have seen you struggle, work and succeed and this is no different. A mcdreamy PT now that is an incentive to go to therapy.

Marla....hope you had a nutty birthday.

Old gal....you are loved, wanna do another motorhome trip? Pajama Party with dogs.

David don't settle for anything less that Harley is waiting for a passenger.

Love you Lots....Cher

Anonymous said...

Cheerleaders, Oh my God, thank goodness you said no more short skirts or that could be scary. And...Char and I are NOT old Let's have a look see as to who has the best figure, ha!!

Anonymous said...

O.K. Maureen you win on the figure item.

Maybe when Marla and I are old gals we will have a good figure too!

Kelly, GO, GO, GO Team....Harley here you come!

Love you
Cher

Anonymous said...

Hi There,
Hope all is well... Can someone please update the blog and give us all an update on how Kelly is doing now that she is home.
Thanks,
Lenora

Denise Davey said...

Just checking in on you and reading your blog. Marla, you do need to write a book. Thinking of you always.
Denise

Victoria said...

Marla, where is your blogging? You got me hooked and then left? That is truley a great writer. They always do that. They just leave you hanging!!

Kelly, keep up the great work. Rock on sista!