Sunday, June 3, 2007

It’s a Good thing I Love My sister so Much!

Marla, Marla, Marla, yes I love your witty writing, however when the “victim” is moi, it doesn’t seem quite as funny. Hahahahahaha! I believe I asked my lovely sister to update my Blog (see her comments posted 5/25/07) since our internet service was down for awhile thanks to country living in Prunetucky! Truth is that everything Ms. Marla wrote is “write on”, she said it with humor, and still got her points across – the best part of her penmanship is that I laughed, and yet by the time I was done reading the final lines she had me in tears. Thanks Marla, for keeping everyone updated on my medical condition, SIZE 9 (UGH!), and my recent addiction to Ben & Jerry’s! Of course, I am sure it is the STEROIDS, as my doctor has assured me that once I am weaned from them I will no longer look like a, as David affectionately calls me, “Puffer Fish”. Although this challenge is UGLY, David’s honesty keeps me laughing and with a positive attitude.

Now for the current update.

A quick recap; I was in the hospital for my 3rd round of Chemo 5/8-5/13 and was then extended an additional 2 days in the hospital when diagnosed with blood clots in my left leg. Of course, I was going absolutely STIR CRAZY and just wanted to go home, so after 8 days in the hospital, 24/7 IV hook-up, and constant nagging to let me recover at home (feet up until the blood thinner kicks in & the swelling in my once ankles, now cankles is gone) the doc released me. I did have to have a Nurse come to my house for the next 4 days to administer daily stomach injections for the clots, which David insisted he could actually do – I, however, rejected his kind offer. On day one with the Visiting Nurse, I complained that my right arm was bothering me. She told me it was in my head and that the legions on my chest were a reaction from the tape they had used in the hospital, and it was nothing serious. A week later, my Oncologist sent me to the Regional Wound Center, and I was diagnosed with Shingles. BTW – I should have known I could not trust the Visiting Nurse when she told me she might not be able to draw my blood because her eyes were bad, and she thought I was lying about my weight! It went downhill from there when she asked me to hold the tube as it filled with my blood. I could go on, but I think you get the Visiting Nurse Saga……

I am now scheduled for an appointment with Dr. Susan Chang @ UCSF on June 8th to review status. David & I anticipate, based on past experience, she will review the prior two MRI’s and scans and then tell us to proceed forward with Round 4 of Chemo which has already been advised by my local Oncologist and my Neurology team from Hoag/Newport. In the mean time, the doctors and I agree we do not want to start Round 4 until the Shingles are physically “clear” which should be mid to late June. Of course, I am anxious to complete this round, start the steroid weaning process (weight reduction), re-growth of my hair (oh, how I’ll miss my wigs, NOT!), and start getting back to NORMAL. Whatever Normal is, David & I are so ready!

On a more personal note, Marla and Bob are bringing Liz & Miranda to California for a month to do the tourist thing. They are driving out with their RV and will be stay at a local campground. We are excited to take the girls to the Aquarium, Cannery Row, driving the coast, San Fran, etc., all the sites Mom took us to on our annual vacation. One of the highlights this summer will be the 4th of July in Cayucos, as Amy (John’s wife) & new baby, Hannah Kelly are coming to visit, as well as, Molly (Matt’s wife) & children. My best friends, Theresa & Karen will be here also, so the 4th, God willing, is going to be filled family and friends and I am sure lots of LOVE, FAITH & HOPE for the rest of the year. Also if you could, keep Matt in your daily prayers, as he has been deployed back to Iraq. We are praying for his safe return, scheduled currently for December, 2007.

On a final update, the picture I recently sent out, although not great, was just to prove that I have not always been a “Puffer Fish”, I just had to trump Marla’s Blog report

Stay safe & sane during the upcoming Holidays – once again I send my Love to you & your families.

Love always,
The Puffer Fish

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I serously doubt you look like a puffer fish. We love you anyway, look how we care about Marla! (Had to give Marla a bad time, right? Especially when she makes fun of us old people) Send me Matt's address, guess I'll have to get busy with the cookie baking again. Have a great 4th in Cayucos, wish I could be there.. Maureen

Anonymous said...

Well Kelly if you are a puffer fish then I am a double puffer fish. I wish to be as fat as you in the near future. Marla wanta race. I hope the shingles are clearing up, what a name shingles like the roof or a house or something. Can you imagine the person that dreamt up the medical names for everything must be a real nurd. Well Kelly I will be thinking about you tommorrow night when I am salsasizing in front of the wall of mirrors. Ouch it is scary to see yourself while you are making a fool of yourself. Oh but the fun of latin dancing.
We will keep Matt in our prayers for a safe return to his wife and children.
We are leaving for Bishop for the California High School Rodeo State Finals for a week, June 16-June 24. Kaitlyn qualified in goat tying or as we call it nanny slammin. So if anyone is passing by Bishop around that time stop by to see us.
Can't tell dad till it is time to leave or he will throw a tantrum for the next week and 1/2.
Kelly how exciting to get to see the new baby named after you on July 4th, if we are around we will catch up with you too!
Marla are you bringing your dad. Ha Ha I can picture you just like the movie vacation with him tied to the roof of the RV. strolling down the highway. Can't wait to see you. Anyway I need to get to bed, Night Kelly, Love you and sending white light your way. Thanks for the great picture and congrats again on eloping. ha ha (a little bit of our mothers in that comment) Love you, Cher

Anonymous said...

Hey where is everyone. Marla are you on the road yet. Kelly hope you are feeling better. I am thinking of you everyday. Sending hugs and love your way. Love you, Cuz Cher