Monday, June 11, 2007

The Results from UCSF – June 8th

Finally, some good news from UCSF! This Friday, June 8th, David & I met with Dr. Susan Chang and one of her associates. After reviewing my Brain MRI from December to the most current scan of 5/1/07 the doctors believe the tumor has shrunk, therefore we should proceed forward with Round 4 of Chemo. In addition, Dr. Chang would like a full scan (to review the brain, hip, lung, & spine) and a few weeks after this treatment, if all is going well, they would like to add a 5th Round of treatment. The bad news is more Chemo – the good news would be, if they want Round 5, the Chemo is working.

The other piece of good news is that the doctors say I can start being weaned off the steroids (hip hip hooray!) and trying to reduce some of this 25 additional lbs I have added to my frame! Unfortunately, every time I have chemo I have to start the steroids again and the weaning process will start over. Welcome back Puffer Fish!!

At this point I am just waiting for the shingles to clear up which we are hoping will be within the next few weeks before I can start Round 4. I am also still being monitored weekly for the blood clots in my legs which are controlled by meds and will not defer any treatment. I hope I will have Round 4 finished before the Fourth of July as we are planning to head to Cayucos for the parade and town celebration!

So, as you might imagine, David & I were very excited about the news on Friday, and think we are headed in the right direction! David even took me to a nice lunch on the Wharf after my appointment and then wheeled me around in my wheelchair to see the baby Sea Lions! It was a Good Day!

Of course I know I have God to thank and most of my friends and families prayers to help through this challenge. Thank you AGAIN for your thoughts and keeping me close to you. Right now I still have some limitations with my walking and I have not driven for 7+ months, however once my overall health starts to get better, I will start to work with the physical therapist – my first goal being to walk without a cane, and being able to ride on the back of the Harley again by the end of summer!

I also look forward to getting back into physical and mental shape over the next several months, reducing the amount of medical appoints I have had, and being able to see and or talk to many of my friends/family that it has been difficult to connect with because of some limitations.

Hope all is well with you and your families. Have a safe, FUN, and happy 4th of July! If anyone is around the coast – there is a great Parade and celebration in Cayucos and there will be plenty of us to entertain each other!!

Love,
Kelly
Cell# 714-329-4895
Home# 831-449-3776

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Puffer Fish!! Sounds like it won't be long and you will have to consult with Gwen about that most important Plastic surgery she has planned for you. Just remind her that she will be 38 in two days! Kiss David for me. We love you and miss seeng you. I'll take a lot of pictures in Switzerland. A friend of mine is going to show me how to set up my own website so it will be much easier for everyone to view the pictures Maureen

Nicole said...

What fabulous news! I just knew that we'd be getting some good news from you shortly! It was so great chatting a few weeks ago - I haven't laughed so much in a long long time. I hope you enjoyed the goodie I sent last week - they are my favorites!

I started working out with a trainer this week. I had all my rules to give him right off the bat: 1) I don't like to work out too hard. 2) I don't like to do stuff that I don't like to do. 3) I don't want big hard chick muscles. Really don't want any muscles at all. 4) And I don't like to do too many of the same things. I'm surprised he still worked out with me. I'm sure he was thinking...what a pain in the ass primadonna. But since I'm sure that's not the first time someone has thought that about me, I don't even let it bother me.

We are heading to Vegas for the 4th. I wish I knew you were going to be in Cayucos - that would've been a great trip with my kids. Kevin and the girls would love it there. Although, eww... I just remembered that smelly hotel we stayed in there that one year. Yuck. But the parade and hanging out all day - such a great day! I'm glad that you'll be able to go and enjoy it.

I'm counting on you letting me know when I can visit. I've got lots of flexibility now that school is out. And I am sure you aren't putting me off because you are a little on the puffy side. You know that I would keep the fat jokes to a minimum. :)

Love you and cheers for great news!

Nicole

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly,
Yahoo on the great news. Cayucos here you come. We leave for Bishop in a few days and will be gone for a week. I have two people here for Dad, haven't told him I will be gone as I want to keep the tantrums to a minimum. You know how it is how dare I go with my kids somewhere and leave him alone without food and water and no one to care for him. I just don't care about him. The KING will just have to impose his demands on someone else for the week. Oh darn. Kelly Belly is going to get to go with us for a few days then he will come home and work then come back for the last four days. Looking forward to the break from KING MYRON.
I can just see David wheeling you around San Fran... Did he pop a few wheelies.... How fun to see the see lions.
Well maybe Marla, you and I should plan on going to Switzerland when you are well since we will miss this trip due to unforseen circumstances. Can you imagine us traveling together. Yeeeessssss. Look out Europe.
Get rid of those shingles girl and the 25 lbs. well I didn't see them when I saw you last. I love you and am sending you hugs and kisses and lots of healing white light. You go girl. Cher

Anonymous said...

God has such a great sense of humor. After all the teasing I have done to my little sister, Miss Steroid Head, she finally got some sweet revenge. Seems I was having a bit of a breathing problem from all the wheat being harvested back here in Okie Dokie. I dragged myself wheezing & whining to the Doc & what did they do? Jammed a needle full of STEROIDS in my hip! I know Kelly has been praying for something like this. I, unlike her, do not worry about becoming a Puffer Fish since I attained that status all on my own years ago sans Steroids.
We are leaving here on June 29th & heading to Prunetucky. The plan is to stay for the entire month of July & PARTY with the original PARTY GIRL ~ Miss Kelly Jean the Beauty Queen. Molly & the kids and Amy & Hannah Kelly will also be joining the festivities so this could get CRAZY! Be warned all who dare to visit in the month of July!
I am planning on seeing as many of the cousins as possible. Cher, Mickey, Maureen, Gwen, Barbara, Beverly, Xochie & anyone else brave enough to face the Hansen hoards, plan on coming up so we can visit. Kelly is really looking forward to all of us getting together & taking up where the Aunts left off. I get to be Aunt Sisi....dammit!