Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Getting Ready for Treatment......

Hello my friends and how was your day today?

As most of you know Char, Karen & I spent the weekend with my dad. Sadly his health is on a daily decline and at this point he can no longer walk and does not make much sense when he talks. However as Marla says, he is a fighter, and he wakes up everyday saying he feels fine! It was a physically challenging trip for me as the tumor in my left hip and the edema, which causes numbness on my right side, make it hard to walk. With all that said, although a very emotional trip, it was more than worthwhile to get see my dad and Oklahoma family.

The first day back from OK I had/have appointments getting me ready for the chemo treatments that are scheduled for this coming Monday-Thursday (2/12-2/15). Monday I had the Port-a-Cath interview, Tuesday I met with the Chemo Nurse to review the treatment plan and what to expect and today I had the Port-a-Cath Surgery. They inserted a port, about the size of a half dollar on my right side upper chest. You are wide awake during this "procedure", however they are kind enough to throw you some Percoset! Of course, what they do is numb the site, but you still feel the pressure as they are making the incisions/insertions, etc. To keep myself distracted, I talked to the doctor the WHOLE time. I quized him on almost everything, schooling, family, the whole thing - he probably wished I was sedated! Right now I am really sore on my right side which, according to the doctor should subside over the next few days.

My next appointment is this Friday, 2/9 at UCSF, with the Chief Neuro Oncologist, Dr. Chang, who I have been trying to get to see since early December. This is an important appointment because she specializes in malignant meningnoma's. The outcome on Friday will determine the final chemo treatment for Monday. (There are 100's of types of chemo's and at this point Dr. Chang could still make changes to the treatment plan based upon her review).

Theresa is flying in on Sunday and planning to stay in the hospital with me for the four days of chemo - we're ready to start the program!!! Of course Therese tell's me she is coming armed with a bunch of "projects" like knitting, etc., - sounds like work to me! David will also be there but can't spend the night as the Sewart farm (Jack the lovable Labradoodle, Bailey the African Grey Bird, & Bud, Mick and KC the Cats) all must be tended to daily.

Thanks again for checking in and I will update the blog after my appointment on Friday!

Hope you and your families are doing well. God Bless.

Love to all,
Kelly

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Kelly - I am so glad that you got to visit your dad. I'm sure it was emotionally taxing, but that time is so precious.

I'm anxious to hear what Dr. Chang has to say, so be sure to keep us all posted.

Happy that Theresa is going to be there with you - I'm sure you recognize how fortunate you are to have such special friends in your life. Be sure to tell her hello from me!

((hugs)) Love - Nicole