Sunday, February 18, 2007

It's GREAT to be Home!

Hello my friends! It's Sunday afternoon and David & I are waiting for the arrival of my lovely sister, Char, on the 6:30PM "train" so I thought I would update the blog in the mean time. (Yes, crazy Char takes a 7 hr train trip vs 1 hr flight as she does not like to fly - she must really love me - as I do her!)

Where do I start? As you know Theresa was here to hold my hand in the hospital and much more but I'll leave out some of the details, and she was TERRIFIC! She took care of me as if she was my personal nurse - she is my hero, but after being best friends for 37 years I think everyone knows that! Of course, we didn't go without getting into some mischief. We were so bored we went to the gift shop and got yelled at for being on a cell phone and then went to the Starbucks (yes, it's in the hospital) and were reprimanded because they will not serve patients and I was not supposed to be off my floor. Theresa then proceeded to tell them the other drink & pastry was for another person or they would not sell it to her for me - we got a good laugh later as we shuffled back to my room. It made me think of our first job together at KFC at age 15 1/2 and the initial, accidental, commotion we stirred when we tried to make our first batch of mashed potatoes - it was straight out of and I Love Lucy episode. BTW - this was all on day 1.

As far as the treatments themselves, it's just a long and boring day. Unfortunately the kind of chemo I am receiving is very intense and therefore there are several pre-meds & post-mosts and therefore it takes about 12 hours for the entire process. It doesn't hurt because I was on an IV through the port-a-cath for the entire 5 days, however, as many of you know, being in the hospital is not very fun - yes, I wanted to go home. Theresa & I took our daily walks, played cards, read, talked and made the very best of our stay at the "Hospital Hotel". The good news is I was released on Friday night at about 9:00PM. I slept like a baby that night - there is nothing like sleeping in your own bed.

As you might know, chemo kills cancer cells, but it also attacks a persons good cells. So today I had to go for an injection that will help to keep my white blood count up. So far I have had limited nausea (knock on wood) and am taking a pill to help calm my tummy. The injection I received today can cause flu like symptons for a few days which would start over the next day or two, however Char & I have plans therefore I do not & will not have time for the flu!

The doctor is talking about my next round of treatment in 3 weeks - which would be around the week of March 12th for another 5 days. I told him I am ready but have requested this treatment on an outpatient basis. Basically I will go to the chemo clinic first thing in the morning and stay all day for treatment, returning daily Monday thru Friday. They will be long days, but I will get to go home at night. I feel good about this decision and will confirm with the doc at my next appt.

Other than that, I am anxious to get back to regular life. David has been incredible through this entire journey. He has been my daily caregiver, which I know is not an easy job. I have tried to maintain some sense of "regular" when we are at home and continue to cook, which I love to do, laundry (ugh), and regular house stuff. I just can't wait to get back to work at Aaron's as I was enjoying our business - and as most of you know, I just love to work. David & I have been together for 6+ years, got engaged in Nov 2005, and are looking forward to our nuptials as soon as I can get it scheduled. :)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my last update. You touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. I know in my heart I am being healed by the power of YOUR support that has included so many prayers. To be in your prayer groups has overwhelmed me and I want to thank you again. I don't want to say this experience has changed me, however, I continue to evolve especially with my relationship with God. I will continue to learn and grow through this experience.

I hope each of you & your families are enjoying month two of 2007. Until the next update I send my love to you and your families.

Love,
Kelly

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling so much better!I know you will get through this too, like you have before!
You can have my job when you get better, I'll gladly take some time off:)
Although, I'm sure I would hate it too if I could't work...

Have fun with your sis,and fight that possible cold with all your strength!

God bless you!
Jorun

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that all is going so well. As always, you are in my thoughts and you know I don't believe in god, but I have been talking to St. Francis about you(I think he owes me one)!!
Love,
Gwen

Nicole said...

Kelly -- We went to Disneyland yesterday and the first thing I did when I got home was check your blog - I was thrilled to see it updated! Glad to hear that the first round is officially behind you and I'll be keeping posted to see how you fair this week. Bless Char's heart for taking the train - that's a long trip. And speaking of Char - I swear I saw your nephew Zach at Disneyland. I looked at this boy - ahem, I guess man now - and I thought, where do I know him from?? And it just clicked...you'll have to let me know if he was there on Sunday.

I met Jacquie for coffee this morning before coming back to San Diego. She looks great and we had a good time getting caught up and talking about everyone else. :)

Lots of love --

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly,

I am so glad to hear you are back home.

Why am I not suprised to hear that you would find your way in to so much mischief AT A HOSPITAL?!?! I can picture it all very clearly...

Our thoughts, prayers and well wishes are with you. Take Care of yourself and keep us posted.

Love,
Marc Gallo

Anonymous said...

Kel~ Like I always said....those LoBues are nothing but trouble! Anyway, here is my proof that I am reading your blogs which seems silly since we talk 10 times a day. One thing I will say AGAIN.... you are one tough old broad. Must be the Swiss in you! Maybe we should start calling you Aunt Sisi. Yeah, I like that!

Love you Sisi ~
Marla

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. I agree with Marla....You are such a Swiss...tough and never complain about anything! I'm just waiting for you to start eating torta(tulta)!

Speaking of the Swiss...Rezio wrote to me asking about you and asked for you email address. I'll write him back today with your email and tell him not to worry...Your still feisty enough to be a pain in the ass;-)