Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lucky Thirteen!

This June I approach 13 years since my original brain tumor diagnosis. This has been quite a roller coaster, as most of you know, and as I just returned from another trip from MDAndersen I thought I would update the blog in case anyone is still reading after this long, tedious journey.

Last week my sister Marla and cousin Cherie took me to MDA for the dreaded follow-up tests (my last round was in Oct. 2010). Yes, David & I are still happily married, however, recently KC Kitty was diagnosed with diabetes and needs insulin shots twice daily. In addition, we added (2) tortoise to the Sewart Zoo that need extra care & handling. Long story short David had to stay home to BABYSIT!

It was an exhausting week of MRI’s, Xray’s, CT Scans and Dr. appts. Both Marla & Cherie tried their very best to keep me preoccupied by being as LOUD and as funny as they could, however, I was struggling a bit to keep my happy face on when the nurse told me the Dr. had ordered a Barium CT Enema. After a long day of travel, MRI, several pokes in the arm, I had decided they weren’t going to “poke” my butt too! Yes, I said it. Sorry if I offended anyone but come on, enough is enough. As I sat in the waiting room crying to Marla about how I was “done, finished, blah, blah, blah” throwing a pity part for myself, I suddenly realized all eyes had focused on me & my story. Marla & I looked at each other and burst out in laughter! Laughter is the best medicine - It turned out to be a good day!

Anyway, there were plenty of tests over the next three days, (3) MRI’s, CT scan, several Xrays, and blood work that revealed results for the need for on-going treatment. Unfortunately the tumors in the brain, lung, and liver have grown. In addition, there is a tumor on my C-spine that has grown significantly. Long story short, David & I have decided to take the advice of my Neuro-surgeon, aka Dr. McDreamy, and will be returning to MDAndersen within the next two weeks to start treatment. I have qualified in a clinical trial for a new type of radiation treatment and only will be the 4th patient to ever have this exact treatment (I haven’t decided if that’s good or bad?!?). I have so much trust in the Dr’s at MDA and I have full confidence in their capabilities, however I am getting tired.




Radition set-up takes a few days and the treatment is a one time shot for about 1 ½ hrs. That’s the good news. I will then start chemo, a pill a day, which will continue as long as my body can tolerate it.

On another note, Marla called and asked if her youngest, Miranda, who will be 13 in May, could come spend a few weeks here during summer since she is working now and she probably should not stay home alone. So it looks like David & I are going to be parents to a teenager for part of the summer!?! It could prove to be helpful, crazy, or a little of both. Miranda has already called and is excited about her trip - check back after Uncle David has her cleaning tortoise pens, walking dogs, doing the dishes, and all the other chores he is racking up. She’ll be begging for her ruby slippers!





In closing, please keep my bff Theresa’s nephew Brian LoBue who is like my nephew in your daily prayers. A few weeks ago he was diagnosed with a brain tumor (Glioblastoma). His surgery was successful and he too is going through radiation & chemo treatment. You can follow him @ http://www.brianlobue.blogspot.com

I should be back in town around March 12th, God willing. After all these years, it means so much that many of you still keep me in your prayers, Lucky 13! 2011 is going to be a good year.

Love to you and your families,
Kelly

8 comments:

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

I'm still here! You are such a strong woman, Kelly. I'm not sure I would make it through all that. I hate needles and anything medical-related that involves me having to undress or people looking around.

You're definitely in my thoughts, as is the whole family, and so is Brian!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
Thinking of you...praying for you...the whole family sends their love. Stay strong girl.
Love, Penny

Kelly said...

@ aLmYbNeNr: Thanks for following & for your support!

@ Penny: Love to you and your family. So many memories growing up at St. Helen's, Dawn Tierce, Mrs. Sanson, your mom & family...it puts a smile on my face thinking about the old days! Thanks for checking in and send my very best to ALL. HUGS!

Maureen said...

We will definately keep you in our prayers as we travel north. Keep us posted. We love and plan on stopping this fall as we head south.

rlarosa said...

Hey Girl:

How do you do it! Oh yeah, you're Kelly - you've always been the big doer of the group!!! So happy to see your pic! Thanks for posting - and I think a visit from your 13 year old niece is just what you and David need. A little child labor is not a bad thing to have around(haha). And I'm glad you said no to the butt poke. Hey we all have our boundries! GOD Bless you girl - you are always in my prayers! So sorry to hear about Brian. Will send some prayers his way too.

Lova ya,
Zana

Nicole said...

Sending love your way. I heard from Marla last week, and read up on her blog too to get the latest.

I remember the day 13 years ago...exactly where I was when you called me. I was picking Kevin up at LAX, he was coming to meet my family and we were getting ready to move to Boston. It's feels like forever ago and just yesterday at the same time - but when you say 13 years, it's hard to believe that you've been fighting this for so long.

I know that you are tired, but don't let go of that inner fight that is such a huge part of who you are. It's got you this far my friend!

Love you! And all the girls send their love - as does your future coonhound that still might be moving in with you and David!

Marla said...

You forgot to mention what a fabulous time you had with your sister and cousin. I forgive you.

If Nicole sends that coonhound to you, I am coming to rescue him. He is an Okie if I ever saw one.

Cher said...

Well Kelly that is what happens when you let two old mother hens out of their cage. They cackle