Saturday, March 17, 2007

A Slight Delay

Here is the latest from the Pittner/Sewart Camp. Unfortunately I had a “mild” set back after the first day of chemo. Evidently one of the potential side effects of the types of chemo I am taking is burning of the bladder and, yes, I got a very mild case. Of course, my doctor said in 23 years not one of his patients has ever had this, but guess who the lucky charm is? Kind of like my benign meningioma that had less than 1% chance to metastasize? Marla says we should take tottery tickets and rub them on my head and we could probably win BIG BUCKS! Of course I’ll have to charge a small service fee like the liquor stores to the grand prize winner! :)Anyway, I ended up in the hospital for one day for observation and to run fluids through my system for 48 hours and was home by mid afternoon Wednesday, feeling fine.

Marla & Char came to visit on the 8th to make sure I was behaving, and Andrew drove up over the weekend to drive Aunt Char home, because as we all know by now – she won’t fly! I had an MRI on Monday, the 12th and the doctor said they do not see any change from the scan on 1/22 which is good news. The MRI is only a scan of the brain and does not reflect other parts of the body. They will not scan the whole body until after the second round of chemo, which at this time has been detained for about three more weeks. I have an appointment with my local Oncologist this Tuesday,3/22, to review everything; he’ll also discuss his consultation with Dr. Chang from UCSF with me at that time.

I am anxious to get to round two of chemo, however, I understand the doctors are being cautious with this chemo as it is one of the most toxic available and they are concerned about potential side effects. The good news is all my vitals are really strong! When I went for day one of the second round of chemo, all my counts were – “GREAT”. I am anxious to meet my REMISSION goals and get my medical stuff behind me for this year (to say the least). As they say “patience is a virtue” and I am trying to be very virtuous!

Marla left this morning to return back to Oklahoma. We had a nice visit this trip and look forward to her return in the summer with her girls, Liz (17) and Miranda (9) for vacation.

Thanks again for checking in on me, I appreciate every prayer, thought, card, e-mail, etc. It absolutely feels incredible to know how many people are walking with me as I face this challenge and how each of you have touched my life in some way. Thank you for being there, my family & friends - I love you!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to everyone – Be Safe and don’t drink & drive on Green Beer or whatever is your holiday pleasure! HAVE FUN!

Love, kisses & my prayers to you & your families,
Kelly

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,
I know you are disappointed with your setback but I am glad the doctors are proceeding with caution. Glad the three of you got to spend some quality time together. Dad had the flu yesterday, so I spent my St. Patty's day taking care of my 200 lb toddler. My sister in law came and took me out to Mexican Food.
Not very Irish, but I have never been fond of corned beef and cabbage. My mom always took care of my Irish husband on that day.
(Yes, I made corn beef and cabbage for the rest of the gang.) Then took me to a show of Irish Music it was a great way to end a difficult day. My hubby took care of Dear Ole Dad.
I am glad your vitals are "GREAT" and that you get a little rest between treatments. I think of you everyday and send my love and lots of white light your way. I look forward to your updates. Love you Cher

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,
I belong to Meningioma Mommas.org
It may be helpful for you to sign onto our website. We have so many women that live out in Calif. some have Dr Chang is that your DR?
I get meninigioma by google because I had my tumor removed 3 years 3/22/04 I stay active within our support group. So many people have never heard of this type of tumor!
We would love to have you join us.
Deb G
my screen name is (debflu)

Nicole said...

Kelly - Glad to see the update. I hope you are resting up over the next three weeks. Isn't it amazing how crisis can bring families even closer together? This time spent with your sisters is such a blessing - I know you are cherishing it. When I called the other day and Marla answered, I swore it was you. It took me a second to realize I was talking to her, you guys sound so much alike!

I'll be thinking of you this weekend...we are going to Vegas for my birthday. It won't be the same without bingo at Binion's and those drinks with the whipped cream! Oh, we had some fun times there didn't we?!

Speaking of birthday, yours is right around the corner too! I'll talk to you then.

Love, Nicole